Monday, November 01, 2004

So I just watched Secretary.

Now, normally if you were to tell me Maggie Gyllenhaal (and yes I did have to cut and paste her name) were in a movie that probably involved more spanking that your average day care or slightly adventurous CSI episode, chances are I would be in the first row with a large tub of popcorn and a megasized Diet Coke. Just to see how the plot goes, honestly.

Ok, bad jokes aside, when I heard about this movie and the glowing praise being showered upon it, I figured I needed to see it. So when I stumbled across it on channel 20230844 on my digital cable, I considered myself blessed by the programming scheduling gods.

Now after having seen the movie, I'm a little...disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good love story as much as the next guy comfortable in his sexuality. And that's all the movie is, a love story. Wrapped in quite a different wrapper that an usual love story.

But it wasn't all I thought it would be. The movie just sort of bounces around until the big turning point (and look, I'm trying to be real nice and not spoil anything, in the off chance that you hit the Blogger random button, landed here, and haven't seen the flick yet. I don't think I could live with the fact of ruining a total stranger's potential enjoyment of a movie. Really.) and then it picks up some momentum.

But I'm sitting there thinking "Am I going to really be thankful for staying up late to watch this?" By the end I felt...I don't know, rewarded the word I'm looking for here? The resolution was ok.

But many people will focus on the S&M aspect, which really wasn't as major as I thought it would be.

Aw hell, I don't know what I want to say about this movie. Maggie's in it, she looks JUST like an old girlfriend it's scary, and she does a bang up job. Spader's a little too much at times, but he nails it in the end. (Oh, god, I may or may not have just made a really bad pun. It was unintentional, I promise. In fact, that entire paragraph may have just been...I shouldn't try to do this when I'm fighting to stay awake, should I?)

I'd say go watch it. Decide for yourself. Don't be quick to judge. It's all about love, really.

And spanking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home